|We receive many calls about the Community Service requirement so we would like to offer some suggestions on how to fulfill the requirement. Here are some suggestions:
1. Join your local synagogue, Jewish Community Center, or Hillel Chapter, etc. Contact the Rabbi or other organization leaders and discuss how you can serve the community.
2. The Florida-Israel Institute offers a Film and Lecture Series and we will send out a call for one or two greeters/ushers to assist at the events. Our office will provide a letter documenting your service.
3. The Florida-Israel Institute has an Academic Advisory Board consisting of faculty and administrators from FAU, FIU, and BCC. The Board also consists of one student member. If you are interested in serving a two-year term, please call Dr. Zvi Roth at 561-297-3471 to discuss it.
4. Other volunteer opportunities include working with the elderly, assisting Rabbis to conduct services on Shabbat and holidays, teaching Hebrew to children, working with children with disabilities. It is important to remember that you are acting as ambassadors for the State of Israel and your service to the Jewish Community is important and reflects how people think about Israel.
5. Community Service must be performed each semester and documented by letters from a Rabbi, or community leader verifying the type of service. We have received pictures and DVDs from students. The more documentation we receive, the more points awarded for your community service.
6. A webmaster is needed to update and maintain the Florida-Israel Institute’s website. If you have the skills and are interested in assisting in this project, please call Dr. Roth at 561-297-3471. We would like to have two students to assist in this support.
7. If any student is interested in taking the lead to set up an alumni association or society of former and current Israeli students who are recipients of the Florida-Israel Institute scholarship and you want to propose a plan, please contact Dr. Roth at 561-297-3471.
If you have questions regarding the type of service that you are interested in, please feel free to discuss it with me.
Dr. Zvi Roth, Co-Director